Identifying with a murderer

Moses’ life intrigues and inspires me. I wish I could interview him.

Remember his story? Raised in Pharaoh's household, he must have acquired great academic and political savvy. Seeing the unfair plight of his people must have kept him up at night as he pondered how to fix the situation. As solutions evaded him, it must have been too much to see that Egyptian slave driver beating a helpless brother. Without forethought to the consequences, Moses acted in anger and found himself fleeing in fear. 

In the desert, Fear and Doubt must have been constant companions as he tended sheep, daily mocking his great knowledge and abilities. He had learned so much in a great ruler's house, had been given everything needed to rise to great leadership, and yet he lost everything because of his foolish actions. 

I can relate somewhat. I've royally messed up and hurt others. Trying to solve problems, I’ve stepped in where I should not have (or in the wrong timing) and caused more trouble than there was to begin with. Yes, there have been times I've been allowed to intervene, but many times when God's been clear. “Hands off, girl! Leave this one to me.” It’s extremely hard to wait for God to change a situation – or to watch injustice unfold where it’s not in your power to do something (beyond prayer, of course).
  
Yet in Moses’ story, I find hope.
God still called him. God used him anyway.

My failings, my imperfections… they are nothing compared to the power and creativity of my Abba.

Abba, thank you for choosing to include us in your story. HIS*tory is all about you, but in my daily life I fall prey to thinking everything’s about me. May my thoughts be focused on YOU – your power, glory, creativity, goodness, hope, love, grace, mercy – today. May my heart be encouraged to know that you are working in, and through, my life in spite of my past and present condition. May your will be done in my heart and mind, and your will is done in heaven. I love you so much. In Jesus’ name… 

If you have time this weekend, I encourage you to read Moses' story. We'll be identifying with him more over the next several weekdays. 

No comments :

Post a Comment