Out of the Muck and Back Into the Yoke

Maybe you can relate. I'm stumbling through my day, the obstacles rapidly increasing, tension mounting, and suddenly out bursts some exclamation. "Will I ever learn? I can't do this! What's wrong with me?" (etc)

Now picture this. A grown woman, hand on her hip, whips out the biggest scolding she can muster and says, 
"What did I just say?"
"What does that even mean?"
"Well, little missy, what does God have to say about that?" 

Yes, I talk to myself and it is a funny thing to behold. But it works for me and may even save lives. <chuckle> 

Have you ever stopped to think about those comments? 

"Will I ever learn?" <chuckle> Short answer: duh, I learn every day. Serious answer: If I'm expecting to be perfect, I'm not lining up my expectations with God's. 

"When will I learn?" Same question. Amusement crosses my lips as I realize big internal knots lead to such simple questions. 

"I can't do this!" statements lead to a referee whistle and a yellow flag, signalling that I've stepped out of bounds. Intellectually, I know "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," yet I'm having a child-like emotional meltdown. Meanwhile Jesus waits patiently for me to calm down and get back into the yoke with Him so we can finally continue our day. Recognizing I've slipped out of the yoke is a great place to be! That's the exact moment to Stop, Drop & Roll

STOP.
DROP to our knees, grateful for God's grace, we submit to Him. 
ROLL around in some good conversation. With friends. With yourself. With God. 

Dear Abba God, thank You for being my Truth and anchor. Please remind me when I'm walking in doubt or fear to stop, drop (to my soul's knees), and roll (around in some good conversation). Guide me to specific verses to cling to as I walk through this journey with You. Thank You for being with me every second and for consoling me with your tender grace.  Help me to take myself less seriously, to be childlike (minus the tantrums) and to just get back in the yoke. In Jesus' name... 

No comments :

Post a Comment