Simple Faith out of a Messy Sunday Morning

Ever have a Sunday morning which doesn't start so well?

Back in August, we found water in our basement, which left quite the mess. Not only was my home a mess. I was a mess. What a yucky way to start a morning in which we’re to gather with others to publicly praise The Lord! Surely, someone can relate...
The sermon that morning was about Peter's reinstatement, and how God brings triumph out of tragedy. I was struggling so much that I'm amazed I ever heard the sermon. I was frustrated, and bombarded The Lord with rapid-fire questions like you wouldn't believe. 

“WHAT else should I be doing, Lord, because it seems to me that my life’s a mess and I must be doing something wrong…” I wasn't content with how ill-prepared I was for a mess in the basement. I wasn't content with myself. And I wanted answers for how to "fix myself," which I just knew was the root problem of the day!

Well, I just about jumped out of my seat - I felt like a student who had been pointed out for falling asleep in class! The Teacher just called on me to answer a question. And I don't mean the preacher, either. I was very unnerved.

“Do you love me?”

When my soul recovered from the shock of being called to answer God Almighty's question, but before my mind could catch up to what was happening (it was still in shock!), I heard the answer rise from the depths of my soul, “Lord, You know that I do.”

[Wait for it… Wait for it… ]  “OH! I get it!” 
ALL He requires from me is to love Him.

I might not always love Him the way “I think I should” - Apostle Paul struggled with this too, but I do truly love Abba so much and I want so desperately to love Him more each day. So, even on those days when I give way to foul emotions because of a focus on my circumstances, I can still trust that God’s mercies are new the next day.

Abba, “We do believe. Help us in our unbelief!” Thank You for only requiring that we love You. Help us trust that loving You is enough, and that You will take care of the rest. In Jesus' name...

No comments :

Post a Comment