Talking Myself through (4) - Remembering

There are two words in particular that help me in the battle for the brain. One is “but” - when I need to “finish the sentence” (mentioned in a past post). The other word is...  
 

Remember.

Think back to the Old Testament, from Abraham to Joshua.
 
How did they remember God’s work on their behalf? What did they use to share their amazing story with others?   
 
Passover Meal: God instituted the Passover Meal for the Israelites to observe and remember when He rescued them out of Egypt (Exodus 12:14). Still observed by many around the world, it is a reminder of God’s faithfulness and love. What a poignant visual of the ultimate Passover Lamb who saves us from death.  
 
Stones: As I imagine Joshua 4:1-9 unfolding (the sights, smells, sounds), I wonder how awe-struck I might have been if I were a grandchild of someone who had been there. When they took me to the stone memorial and testified to God’s work in their lives, what would it be like to see with my own eyes? I surely would have touched the monument with my own hands. I would have paused to listen to the river and consider what it looked like on the day of their crossing when God cleared the way. What a tangible reminder to share God’s works!  

They weren't the only ones blesses with memorial reminders...  
 

Remember The Cross:

“For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” - Colossians 1:18, NASB
“and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.” – 1 Peter 2:24, NASB
“And when you were dead in trespasses… He made you alive with Him and forgave us all our trespasses. He erased the certificate of debt, with its obligations, that was against us and opposed to us, and has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the cross.” - Colossians 2:13-14, HCSB

Communion:

“The Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes. - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
As humans, we tend to forget. Reminders are good tools.

In addition to the reminders Abba God has given us, mentioned above, I've chosen to "pick up various types of stones" along the way to remind me of God’s answers to my prayers. Memories, tangible objects I can reach out and touch, and places I visit.
  • I can almost feel the Bible pages being tossed against my finders by the playful wind as I sat on a bench on a mountaintop when I realized God really did love me.
  • One particularly weedy and unkempt sandy knoll has a very special place in my heart. While I didn't "feel" God's presence, I felt stronger in faith... I knew I was in an absolutely lovely and special place, and God knew me by name. I felt safe, valuable, and free from all my cares.
  • Then, there's the rock I picked up on the day when I knew His answer was coming swiftly to release me from an obligation I couldn’t carry out any longer.  
  • When I struggle with not understanding, I am encouraged by the faith of others who've gone before... and of the beautiful confessions of faith on white-washed tombstones in Salem, NC. Said in many ways, the heart of their faith was: "We don't know, but we know the One who does."
These memories build up my faith. They remind me of what is true: God is so much bigger than me and my struggles. He was faithful then. He is faithful now and always. 

These are just a few ways to remember. They make it is so much easier for me to command my soul to:
“Be still, and know He is God. He is faithful. He loves you. You are ok. He has you in His hands and will make all things work together for the good. Do you not remember what great things He has done?”
Abba God, thank You for reminders of what YOU have done FOR US. We can’t do anything to make you love us more – or less. How great is your love and kindness! Show me what memorials I can build into my daily life to remind me to renew my thinking. Thank you for hope, for teaching me that I CAN be transformed by the renewing of my mind. Help us to remember. Help us to choose to daily train the brain, using the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. In Jesus’ name...

2 comments :

  1. Aaron, thank you for these beautiful thoughts. I agree wholeheartedly and find that those little tangible touchstones purposefully placed where I'll see them really do remind me Abba loves me unconditionally and holds my hand no matter what the circumstance. A colorful ribbon tied on my inside door handle in the car reminds me of the night I released a balloon into the sky as a symbol of surrendering my cares to Him. A number of small rocks in my home remind me of beautiful places I've been where I felt especially connected to my Rock and Redeemer. Christian music played on a regular basis turns my preoccupation with the daily tasks of life back to what really matters. My favorite is taking photographs of people, places and things that speak to me of His love. My favorite album is a collection of His creation captured by my lens, with some favorite Scriptures. And being in His Word over and over reminds me of His faithfulness. "Daily train the brain" - powerful phrase. Well done, sweet Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing what "stones" others are using in their lives. Thanks for sharing some of yours. So beautiful... ((Hugs to you!))

      Delete