Talking myself through (3) - Strength Training our Brains

train the brain?

Yes, it's hard and it's work. Not my favorite adjectives, I confess. However, this is very important for your survival. It's as important as water and air!

We are at war. We have enemies who are ruthless, who want to keep us down, standing over us with their stinky feet on our necks. The world - blindfolded to truth and hostage to sin and death - taunts us daily. "Come join us! Seek pleasure while you can!" The evil one roars about seeking whom he can devour, trying to confuse and confine us.

BUT GOD SAYS: "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove (or approve) what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2, NASB

So how can we be transformed by the renewing of our minds?

We can start by asking some questions.

1. What am I thinking? What am I saying? Does it line up with God’s Word? Is it true?
2. How am I reacting to these thoughts?
  • Am I trying to ignore or suppress them, as I’ve tried repeatedly?
  • Am I choosing to address them, training my brain to walk in line with Jesus?
3. What does God say? Don't assume or guess! Find Scripture that – in proper context – applies directly to those thoughts. Ask God to direct you. He is faithful!
  • Abba God, please show me truth. Show me which verses to learn and speak when I am attacked. Please fight this battle for me because I know I cannot do this in my own strength. I need your help. 
4. Find 1-2 trustworthy, safe, sisters in Christ Jesus who will pray with you. Choose wisely, asking God to show you the right people to confide in. Pray via phone, email, text messaging, letters – whatever it takes! We need to support each other in this battle. If you cannot honestly find anyone to pray with you, contact me and I will pray with you through email. You are not alone!
Abba God, help us learn to believe truth and spot the lies immediately when they come. Help us stand firm in Christ Jesus, knowing we are no longer condemned or covered in shame. Give us courage to believe YOU have covered us in the righteousness of Jesus - who is beauty, light, and truth. Open our eyes to see truth - both what YOU say, and what thoughts we have been allowing to flood our minds. Show us what garbage we must toss out and help us cling to Jesus alone. Thank You for being faithful and promising to finish what you began in us. I'm looking forward to learning more of what your will is - your good and acceptable and perfect will. In Jesus' name...

No comments :

Post a Comment