On whom God's favor rests. A Shepherd's Joy Series (3)

When I read about the heavenly choir's song, it completely makes sense to me that the angels gave glory to God when Jesus was born. Yet, their blessing of peace intrigues me.
“Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth
peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
-Luke 2:13-14, NIV

"... on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased." - NAS

What does this mean? On whom DOES God’s favor rest? With whom is He pleased? 

Throughout the Old Testament, God shows mankind what pleases Him: live right out of a holy fear, love mercy and justice. These things were more important than sacrifices. In the New Testament, Scripture clearly states God is set apart and all of us have fallen short.

In this verse - the only occurrence of this particular word/form - "eudokia" is the idea of God taking good pleasure in showing His kindness. It's the same idea, spoken throughout Paul's letters especially, that God extends His good will toward mankind because He wanted to. 

"... on earth peace, good will toward men." - KJV

And I am reminded... This proclamation is BIG! Revolutionary! NEW! 
No longer will mankind have to try to attain God's favor.

It's God's kind intention... Undeserved.

That's something to celebrate! Joy to the world, indeed!

Abba God, thank You for sharing the big news with the shepherds and for "changing the rules" so we can know You. I'm so thankful for your gift of Jesus. Soften my heart more each year to the amazing NEW promise You gave through Jesus. Thank You for showing me The Way. Your kindness is beyond my comprehension... When I dwell on knowing You and your kindness forever, I am humbled. Who am I? Wow... Speak clearly with your grace and truth to those around me who don't yet know your peace. As I wait, I will continue to say, "Glory to God in the highest!" For You reconciled us to You through Christ Jesus, bringing us peace and favor in His sight! Hallelujah! In Jesus' name...

No comments :

Post a Comment