My attitude stinks most mornings.

I fight hard to find truth and goodness to dwell on (Phil 4:13). Rejoicing (Phil 4:4)? Let's not even go there! This morning, the Sinful Attitude Mommy Monster (SAMM) was at it again! Raging, threatening to swallow my family and me whole! I needed help! (surely I'm not entirely alone in my crazy drama). What's a woman to do?



On those morning, my heart cries out to the Lord (I'm not brave enough to see my husband's reaction if I cried out loud!):
Father, help! I got nothing... I'm already sinning and I'm too tired to fight. Help me accept Your love because I'm already ashamed and it's not even 7 am yet. Help me love with Your love, because I have nothing to give today, unless You help me! I'm desperate!!!

Time was of the essence... (I'll spare you the whys).
I turn on some Christian radio, hoping for a gentle reminder of God's love. After my heart melts a little (it was very hard!), a woman shares how God encouraged her in the midst of her battle with infertility, through a song. He story encourages - and bothers - me. I ask The Lord, "WHY? Why do you allow Your children to face such hardships?" [Yes, I know what the Bible says about this, but I obviously still didn't "understand."]

Now, before I continue, you must understand something about me. My brain flies through tangents and topics at high speeds, making connections and leaps that actually scare my husband at times (while I'm amused). Poor guy is so left-brained... Anyway, my mind is so overrun with images and thoughts that it might resemble the chaos of Times Square if it were laid out for all to see. So, when my thoughts suddenly came to an abrupt halt, which they did...

That got this girl's attention! Then this verse scrolls across the mental screen.
"...He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."  - Matt.hew5:45, NASB

Oh wow...
I had NO idea that I was working off the wrong assumption that somehow, we believers should be exempt from the hardest trials. [Honestly, where do I come up with this stuff?] Reality is that life is hard for the "good" and the "bad." When our first ancestors sinned, all of us were doomed to face off with trouble.  

God makes ALL the difference, and wastes NOTHING.
In those trials, we who follow Jesus have a loving Father who's always with us, always watching over us, providing what we need, and who gives us assurance that NONE of our pain, tears, or struggles are wasted.

"... we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose…. God is for us… He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?  - portions of Romans 8:26-31"

I am humbled, and my heart-cry becomes:
Lord, why me? How is it that You love me so much?  I don't deserve Your love, Your help, Your grace…
"Amazing love, how can it be?" As Peter cried after walking on water (and nearly drowning). so I cry:
“Go away from me Lord, for I am a sinful [human]!” - Luke5:8, NASB
Isn't that just like our Father?
Father, thank You that as we seek Your face, You teach us just how much we don't know and do not deserve. Thank You for being with us always, for Your Spirit who counsels and prays for us, and for Your Son who intercedes and who understands fully the trials we face. Make us thirst for you more each day. We long to be who You've created us to be, for Your glory. In Jesus' name…

No comments :

Post a Comment