You may be the only one... (part 2)

“I want you to walk over to a tree over there. Then pick a leaf and touch it." When asked which one she should pick, he told her it didn't matter, because "No matter what leaf you choose, you will probably be the only person to ever touch that leaf." 

I simply love to stop and look at trees, but I can’t stop there. I have to touch them, too. Words fail me to describe the joy and refreshment I experience when I touch pine needles (the bluer, the better!) and trace leaf designs.

Yet, I can’t tell you know how many trees I’ve stopped and touched, or which trees I’ve touched in places I’ve frequented. There’s no way I could even begin to figure out which leaves I’ve touched!

I can say that I’ve touched leaves, observed trees and enjoyed the detail God’s put into those trees. I don’t need to know which ones I’ve touched.

So it is with people. I can’t say who or when or where I’ve made a difference… I don’t need to. It’s not my business. It’s not a contest or a checklist to cross off on my way to heaven. Instead, I’d do well to simply trust that God’s so incredibly ABLE to use my life – no matter the circumstances – to bring glory to Him and to “touch a life”. He’ll use me to encourage, enlighten, or edify as He sees fit. He’s so much bigger and wiser than I am – I cannot do anything worthwhile outside of Jesus’ help through His Spirit and His resurrection power! I’d best simply continue to trust Him and not worry if I’m doing enough. He’ll let me know if I’m not.

Abba God, how gracious and kind You are to bless my soul and remind me of You infinite ability to touch lives through me. I’m nothing on my own, and You’re everything good. I want to please You and bring You glory; I’m so thankful that You’ll accomplish this through me! Give me eyes to see truth and courage to stand firm as You use me to reconcile others to You, one little minute at time – just like You use one little leaf on one small tree to change the air I breathe. In Jesus’ name…  

No comments :

Post a Comment