Talking myself through (2) - It's ok. You are ok - right where you are.

I like easy. Mornings are NOT easy (at least, not for me).

Sure, I know:
  • God made the mornings.
  • His mercies are new every morning.
  • We are called to rejoice in the mornings, because God made them.
  • Some even find morning to be “wonderful” times with The Lord.
I’m just not there yet. I might never be. I don’t know. Anything’s possible I suppose. Some even say “mornings can be my friend.” Pardon my skepticism.
 
I've tried several tips and techniques to try to befriend mornings, but each effort has led to more frustration. [Please don’t send me a million emails telling me how to love them.] Thankfully, after much searching, I have found something very good to come from my wrestling match with mornings. This conclusion: it’s OK for me to struggle with the morning. Why would I even think I had to attain to loving mornings, as if it were a measure of perfection? (sigh) I make things way harder than they need to be.
  • It’s OK that mornings feel hard to me. What feels hard to you?
  • It’s OK that I feel yucky when I wake up. What frustrates or overwhelms you?
  • It’s OK that I have to talk myself into facing the morning. What “hard” are you facing today?

What I struggle with ≠ who I am.


None of this affects my standing before God. The Provision – Jesus – has paved the way for me to stand united with God. Jesus alone – not what I struggle with – determines who I am.  Jesus is my Perfection, and the more I lean on Him, the more I will learn to trust Him and be less tossed by my struggles. This is a process, a lifetime journey to learn. Not a destination to be reached by shortcuts.

How I feel ≠ who I am.


Jesus alone – not how I feel – determines who I am. It’s important that I differentiate how I feel from who I am. Sad, mad, glad - doesn’t affect who I am.
Jesus is my Salvation.
The Way to joy,
The Truth which sets me free,
The Life I crave.
 
HE is greater than how I feel.  My emotions – by themselves – are not sin. How I feel may lead to sin, if I play with temptation instead of running from it. 
 
My emotions do not define me – proving or disproving who I am. I’m ok right where I am. And so are you.
 

You are ok – right where you are!


Abba God, “Help me in my unbelief!” Help me choose – daily – to believe that emotions are not my identity or destination. They are a tool in your gracious hands, used to draw me closer to you. Give me courage to trust YOU to help me take steps of faith when I feel so weak. Help me to remember these truths: 
...there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1, NASB
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. – Romans 8:28, NASB
Thank you for shining light and truth into my life. Give me feet quick to run from temptation, courage to turn my back on the lies I’ve believed (whether in my head or from others’ mouths), and eyes to see the way of escape which you have promised to provide. I’m so glad I can trust you to help me face each hardship. In Jesus’ name…

No comments :

Post a Comment